
Charles Putnam

Aggie Putnam
Charles Putnam built the present structure that houses the Putnam District Library in 1884-1885. As Nashville’s first school teacher, Agnes Putnam valued literacy. Since they had no heirs because their children died in infancy, the Putnams deeded the house and property to the Village of Nashville for the purpose of a library. All 300 of their books were included as well.
In 1923 the Nashville Women’s Literary Club petitioned the Village to establish the library and were granted permission. They set about the task of converting the house into a library. The library opened to the public on September 1, 1923.
In 1965 the Village of Nashville petitioned the Township of Castleton to form a district library. Castleton Township agreed and the Putnam District Library was formed. The Village and Township shared equally in the funding and appointed two members from each unit to govern the library. A representative from the Literary Club had a non-voting seat on the board as well. In 1988, an addition to the library was completed which is now the children’s room. In July of 1990 the Village of Nashville and the Township of Castleton approved the membership of Maple Grove Township as part of the Putnam District Library. Library service to Assyria Township is provided by Putnam District Library by contract with their Township board.
Today, the Putnam District Library is supported by a millage in Castleton and Maple Grove Township. The library also receives penal fines garnered in Assyria, Castleton, and Maple Grove Townships and an allotment of State Aid from the State of Michigan. The Village of Nashville cares for the maintenance of the building and grounds.
We welcome you to visit Putnam District Library!

Come see what’s upstairs!

What’s up There?
Putnam District Library’s upstairs is composed of four rooms, a landing and a room under the eaves. Tours are provided by appointment.
The Historic Library (insert picture)
Putnam District Library continues to house books which were original to the library when it opened in 1923, along with documents from the early days of the library’s Women’s Literary Club, and other artifacts from the library’s early days.
The Life and Times of the Putnams (insert picture)
The upstairs Northwest bedroom was once a children’s nursery, but is now dedicated to artifacts from Nashville’s early days including remnants from the life and times of the Putnams and the area’s indigenous populations.
The Genealogy Room (insert picture)
The upstairs Northeast bedroom was once the Putnam’s bedroom, but is now dedicated to genological research and provides a meeting space for our partners from Nashville’s Historical Society, volunteers and other genealogy enthusiasts.
Link to archives
Link to Nashville Historical Society page
Reference Room (insert picture)
The upstairs Southeast bedroom is dedicated to housing outdated, rare and delicate reference books in the library’s collection for historical purposes.
The Maid’s quarters
The maid’s quarters are closed at this time. More information is available by contacting the library.
