Putnam District Library

Loading palette preview

Library History

PDL Logo

History of Putnam District Library

Charles Putnam built the present structure that houses the Putnam District Library in 1884-1885. Since they had no heirs because their children died in infancy, the Putnams deeded the house and property to the Village of Nashville for the purpose of a library. All 300 of their books were included as well.  Today, visit the front room of the library to view portraits of Charles and Agnes Putnam.

In 1923 the Nashville Women’s Literary Club petitioned the Village to establish the library and were granted permission. They set about the task of converting the house into a library. The library opened to the public on September 1, 1923. 

 In 1965 the Village of Nashville petitioned the Township of Castleton to form a district library.  Castleton Township agreed and the Putnam District Library was formed. The Village and Township shared equally in the funding and appointed two members from each unit to govern the library. A representative from the Literary Club had a non-voting seat on the board as well.  In 1988, an addition to the library was completed which is now the children’s room.  In July of 1990 the Village of Nashville and the Township of Castleton approved the membership of Maple Grove Township as part of the Putnam District Library.  Library service to Assyria Township is provided by Putnam District Library by contract with their Township board.

 Today, the Putnam District Library is supported by a millage in Castleton and Maple Grove Township.  The library also receives penal fines garnered in Assyria, Castleton, and Maple Grove Townships and an allotment of State Aid from the State of Michigan.  The Village of Nashville cares for the maintenance of the building and grounds.

We Welcome You To Visit Putnam District Library!